Cabellas

Saturday, January 7, 2012

A New Year

Maybe things are starting to turn around.  As my friends and people I have worked with know, I started seeking a position back in property management.  Training and education has been fun, informative, and good, however, I sure miss the challenge and opportunities being in leadership. 

I went a couple of months with virtually no interviews, and now it's like the flood gates have opened up.  Two phone interviews today, one early next week, and a follow-up interview from one of the phone interviews today already scheduled for next week as well.  What has been interesting about the interviews has been the questions received and how some are only presenting basic questions while others really dig deeper to find out about the candidate (yes, that's me).  One interview today told me a lot about the organization, and did a fantastic job at getting into core areas.  Having written articles on hiring and spoken at NAA and many management company and NAA affiliates related to the topic, much can be said about the interviewer and organization.  As an example, one of my postings on hiring talked about making sure we give not only the good things about why someone should work for them but also give expectations and challenges.  I respect an organization and their interview team who isn't afraid to present what some may feel as "intimidating" questions and comments. 

Yes, they were tough questions and made me think and dig for answers.  That is what an interview should do to make sure we are hiring the right person.  Remember it's not hiring someone to fill a position, it's hiring the right person to fill the position.  I won't mention names or companies, however, I will say one interviewer impressed me enough to write this piece tonight and reflect once again on the importance of getting away from the standard questions. 

Hopefully one of these opportunities will pan out, and once again I'll be visiting properties and doing what I love most and have a passion for.  Make it a great weekend and I'll chat with you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment