Cabellas

Monday, February 27, 2012

New Friends and New Opportunties

I am getting excited and ready for my visit to the Washtenaw Area Apartment Association in Ann Arbor, Michigan next week.  The topic, "Expect the unexpected...Emergency Preparedness."  Over the past weeks I have received friend requests from both service providers and property management professionals in Michigan, and look forward to seeing them at the workshop.  Our industry is expansive, however, in some aspects small.  We all share common interests and even though there are tens of thousands of professionals in our industry, it never ceases to amaze me how common topics bring us together.  Service providers, site maintenance professionals, and management and leasing members have become new friends on Linkedin and Multifamily Insiders with me.  I will have the honor and privilege to meet some of them next week, and hopefully build new relationships and share information as we discuss this very important topic.  This will be a very interactive workshop, and I promise will be not only informative but also enjoyable.  I have a couple of surprises lined up to make it fun and we'll throw in a few magic tricks to make it memorable. 

It has also been a week for looking at new opportunities.  My friends and many I have worked with in my career know I miss the challenges and opportunities of leadership and management.  One of the managers I worked with a few years ago recently called to check on my status, reminding me how relationships we build can last a lifetime.  I have thoroughly enjoyed doing the training and education, traveling all over the country sharing information and myself learning along the way.  It never fails I learn something as well with every workshop or seminar I either prepare for or present.  As my father once told me, "If you learn something new every day, you become a better person every day."  Sure miss my Dad, as he was not only my best friend but also the wisest person I have ever known.  Anyway, looking to return to property management has been something I have concentrated on for the past few months.  After a couple of months with only a couple of interviews, I have three this week and am very thankful to have the opportunities.   Hopefully I will find a home with a new company, doing what I love and have a passion for.  In addition to the speaking many of you know I also have been a diver for Disney, spending time in the water with sharks when not speaking.  Someone once asked me if I was afraid of being in the water with 9 foot sharks on a regular basis.  My response was, "Have you met some of the residents I have had to deal with?" 

We'll keep you posted on where I end up, and the blog will no doubt continue.  I was extremely proud when I reported week before last I had over 3,000 visitors to my blog page, and as of today I hit 4,000.  An email I received yesterday from another friend and former co-worker told me I was NOT allowed to drop the blog in returning to active management.  Her comments and the others I have received encourage me to continue to share information now matter what I am doing, which is something love doing. 

Have a great week and  remember the key to knowledge is not having all the answers...but knowing where to find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment